lördag 13 januari 2018

Another reminder of mortality


Fuuuuuuuudge!
This Thursday I received a call from my doctor that she wanted to meet me on Friday as they had found something in a MRI scan from December. Never good when your doctor asks you to drive to another city to meet her instead of waiting 2 weeks for when she is back in town.

Part of a series:
Another reminder of mortality
Day 4 - Tumor in my liver
First week - tumor in my liver
Second week - tumor in my liver
Third week with liver cancer
Liver cancer, surgery
6 weeks post-op, news time
Cancer update
Liver cancer, Post-op 2
June Update 2018

Friday
I have a tumor on my liver. 15mm..... They do not know much more.
So last year pulmonary embolism, this year cancer.. yay...
They took 16 blood samples with all markers for pretty much everything.
Next Thursday I will do another MRI to get the facts and then later that day they will decide what to do.
Options that I have been told about:

  • They could cut it out as it is a little bit on the side of the liver
  • Chemotherapy
  • They cut it out + Chemotherapy
  • I get a liver transplant

So I have a couple of days to get my affairs in order. As on Thursday hell will break loose.

I have promised myself that I will keep my eyes on the 180K Gran Fondo in July. Have no clue if I will make it but I have to focus on something. So the plan is.. I have no plan, I just focus on that race just to have something to focus on. Realistic? Probably not...
My wife and everyone around me are in shock, for me reality kicked in when the doctor said Chemo but I am currently in a practical mode.

Still calm, plan for coming week:

  • started updating my will,
  • need to book meeting with legal advisor on Monday,
  • fix stuff at work and prepare other people for strategic assignments that I am currently handling, 
  • meet family
  • plan 'white archive', i.e. plan my own funeral.. not fun but has to be done in case shit hits the fan (still referring to this as normal?... Hehe, the mind is adaptive and it can always get worse... this time it will)

Sooo, I will try to post more on the progress here. Still not feeling sorry for myself, just a bit.. aaaa not again..


Why I am writing this? Not to feel sorry for myself, but as a way to handle the situation and hopefully someone else out there in a similar situation can find this helpful as well. The human body is strong and hopefully I'll come out of this stronger as well. Plan for the worst and hope for the best!

4 kommentarer:

  1. Discovering a tumor growing on your liver can be a shocking experience. But on the bright side, at least you know that there's still a chance to get rid of it and get back in shape. I hope that you will succeed in whatever option you will consider. Good luck! Kacey @ Glendale MRI

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Thanks for the comment! Luckily I live in Sweden, no need to consider the economic part of the treatment. The best doctors and can just relax and focus on recovery!

      Radera
  2. Reading your openTK articles, they are great.
    Thank you and wish you recover soon.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Thanks for the comment! Glad you like the openTK series!

      Radera

Featured Post

Cancer and Chemotherapy

I thought that I'd cross-post this here for information.  The full post is available here . They found something blocking my bile d...