torsdag 29 december 2016

2016 in hindsight and outlook for 2017

woman holding a sparkler in front of her

Another year passes by. What will I remember of 2016? What was good and what was bad? And what is to come?

The House

From the top of my mind, I think that the biggest personal project that we undertook this year was to renovate our kitchen. We basically ripped out the old one, opened up for a new door, re-walled another and installed the most amazing kitchen from IKEA!
2 months without a proper kitchen, doing pretty much everything ourselves (not counting water, electricity and carpet layers) with the help of our families. Hopefully we don't need to do that again for a decade or two.

before picture of kitchen renovation

work in progress picture of kitchen renoovation, black tiles on the wall and upper cabinets in place

after picture of kitchen renovation, oven, microwave, freezer and fridge in stainless steel

We finished the kitchen just in time for summer vacation and the arrival of our third cat: Prime

picture of our new kitten Prime
Now we have 3, Tiger, Pixel and Prime.

Smaller projects: 

relocation of living room. We moved our TV room to the upper floor and remodeled the living room into a dining room. Turned out great, the old yellow wallpaper was really ugly.
See before and after images:
before picture of living room renovation, yellow wallpaper
The before picture is cluttered, but so was the rest of the house as well during the kitchen project.

after picture of living room renovation, light gray wallpaper, black dinner table, white chairs and ikea lamp
New dining/living-room was completed just in time for Christmas. Much IKEA here as well, but for the fireplace area we actually ordered a 1.5 seat love-couch with really high arm rests from another store. It is to arrive in the beginning of 2017, something that I am looking forward to a lot.

Training

Was a great start this year in preparation for Billingeracet MTB, the only race I participated in this year and plan to do the same next year.
After that, our house projects took all of my time and training was a second priority.
There was also a real low-period that lasted for most part of the autumn where my resting pulse was 15-20 over normal, more on that in another post that I am planning.
From mid December, I think I am back on track again in preparation for 2017.

Brewing

First time brewing, cider. Turned out great, tastes good and hopefully next year we'll be able to make a batch of beer as well

Investing

Investing has been a good year, my favorite bank was on sale for most of the year so I was able to collect more shares than planned. And also putting away more cash into investing at the end of the year than at the start of it. A good sign that perhaps the investment plan will fulfill itself a little faster. But it is still too early to predict. :)

Outlook for 2017

Lots of plans, we would like to redo the facade on the house and add an extra layer of insulation. We fell in love with the Swedish Falu Rödfärg in the lovely color of black. But we shall see if it will happen in 2017 or 18.

For investing, I'll be keeping close track on both the UK and US, not much happened in the global economy during the vote for Brexit nor the presidential election in the US. But 2017 will be the year when both are implemented, so hopefully some stormy months in the market. For me, I don't mind. Red numbers would be good for me, meaning that I could buy up cheap shares in great businesses.


A long post, but I think I've covered it all. At least the most important parts.


Until next time: Work to Live, Don’t Live to Work

Disclaimer. I am in no way an expert on capital management or investing. On this blog I only wish to share my findings, ideas and comments on current events and fields that interest me. I hope that my thoughts can entertain you. I expect that everyone reading take their time and do their own research before acting on anything read on this blog. Investing is not for everyone. E&OE.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar

Featured Post

Cancer and Chemotherapy

I thought that I'd cross-post this here for information.  The full post is available here . They found something blocking my bile d...